Podcast Incubator 2020: Applications Open
The SYN Podcast Incubator will support the creative development of three original podcasts and professional mentoring of up to six young, emerging producers from SYN Media, from September 2020 – June 2021.
This time, up to six emerging producers will be recruited to the 2020 Podcast Incubator (up to two producers per podcast). They will participate in the program for a total of 10 months, during which they will learn, devise, create and publish their own podcast.
Producers will also be required to attend six mentor-led online workshops in:
- Narrative development & planning
- Best practice recording
- Interviewing & transcribing
- Scripting & drafting
- Editing & sound design
- Publishing & promotion
The producers will be assigned a mentor from the Australian podcast community for the duration of the program. One mentor will be assigned to one podcast, with 8 hours mentoring time allotted outside of workshop time.
Last year, we were able to offer an honorarium to program participants. Unfortunately, due to a lack of funding this time round, we are unable to provide payment to producers.
However, participants will receive the following, fully subsidised by SYN with the support of the Community Broadcasting Foundation:
- A spot in SYN’s Induction training + one year’s SYN membership (if not already a SYN member)
- 6 hours of professional development workshops
- 8 hours of one-on-one mentoring (with opportunity for ongoing mentorship)
- Access to industry-standard podcasting equipment
- Podcasting hosting on and publishing access via Omny
- Support from SYN’s Content Coordinator
Applications close at 11:59pm on Sunday 30th August.
Successful applicants will be notified by phone and unsuccessful applicants will be notified by 5pm Friday 4th September 2020.
Young people under 26 from traditionally-marginalised backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply (e.g. Aborginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, People of Colour, LGBTQIA+, women, people with disability, people living in regional areas, etc.).
What kind of ideas are we looking for?
The Podcast Incubator exists to champion unique ideas that aren’t being heard at SYN or elsewhere. We want you to pitch something that’s unique to you and unique to SYN. Your podcast should be something you’re passionate about, not something you think we want to hear.
Your podcast should be relevant and appropriate to SYN’s community and audience in 2020. We’re open to any genre, topic or theme. Podcasts may be fiction or nonfiction. They can be strange or silly or serious.
Your podcast will be judged on its:
- Originality: Is your idea being made anywhere else?
- Creativity: Is your idea trying something new?
- Relevance: Does it make sense for SYN to create a podcast like this in 2020?
- Alignment to the SYN values: Independence, Innovation, Access, Diversity, Participation
No previous podcast experience is required to participate in this program.
- You must already be or be prepared to sign up as a SYN member. To find out more about SYN membership, visit http://syn.org.au/syn-membership or email Erin at [email protected].
- You must submit an original idea. This means it can’t be a SYN seasonal or podcast. It needs to be a brand new idea.
- Applications can be submitted by a maximum of two people to each podcast idea.
- Individuals or partners may submit more than one application, however you are encouraged to submit one really strong idea.
- Your podcast must not promote drugs, alcohol or ticket prices in your podcast.
- Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm on 30th August 2020. Late applications won’t be accepted.
- It is a requirement of the program to participate in all workshop events, scheduled to take place between October and February (dates TBA). If you are unable to attend any workshops please let Erin know in advance at [email protected].
- All participants need to complete their podcasts within the duration of the program.
- The first episode of your podcast is due on March 31st 2021. The program concludes on June 30th 2021.
- The quantity of audio you make is relative to the type of podcast you wish to make – If successful, this will be discussed in more detail between yourself and Erin.
- SYN owns the Intellectual Property of all content created at SYN. Please refer to page 120 – 124 in SYN’s Policies & Procedures for more information.
Ready to apply?
- Submit your application HERE
- Successful applicants will be notified by phone and unsuccessful applicants will be notified by email by 5pm Friday 4th September 2020.
- Questions? Want to talk about your idea? Email Erin via [email protected].
- NOTE: Non-members can now apply for the Podcast Incubator, upon the condition that they are under 26, intend to complete Induction training and become a SYN member, which will be fully subsidised by SYN.