The Smitten Guide – Show 1.06 13th March
The Smitten Guide – a summary of arts and culture events happening around Melbourne, Victoria and Australia.
Re – capping the events we mentioned during the show:
- ART-Town: the unique live-art making experience sees artists working in public spaces of the Chapel Street Precinct over two weekends, 2–3 April and 9–10 April. The exhibition of ART-Town artworks will be held at Chapel Off Chapel from 26th April – 14th May.
- Voices in the Attic: held at the Ferdydurke in Melbounre on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month – free entry, 10 Open mic slots for 5 mins each
- African Australian Cultural Diversity Youth Showcase – happening on March 17th 6-9pm at The Couch, 69 Bourke Street Melbourne – includes comedy, dance, and spoken work performances
- The Other Side at La Mama Theatre is playing from 9th – 20th of March
- ACMI’s Stuck in the Middle With You virtural realite dance experience is on until 14th March – 1 more day to see it!
- Picnic at Hanging Rock is on at the Malthouse Theatre until 20th March – it is being performed at the Merlyn Theatre
- To listen to more episodes of SOAPBOX by Lee Constable, you can check out her website at www.soapboxpodcast.com and LIKE the show on facebook @SoapBoxPodcast
Events around Melbourne, Victoria and Australia:
- Art Smitten’s own BEN VOLCHOCK is re-performing his 2015 Melbourne Fringe Festival show ‘Ben’s Illustrious Fact Show’ for 3 nights at The Highlander – 16th -18th March
- Live at St Ali presents High-hop/Soul collective 30/70 , 12-18 Yarra Place, Wednesday April 6th, 7-10.30pm
- NGV International – one of the world’s most iconic paintings, Whistler’s Mother by James McNeill, is coming to Australia for the first time. Whistler’s Mother will be exhibiting March 25th to 19th June.
- Tinning Street Presents Gallery – 24th March to 3rd April ~ Strange Holiday by Melbourne based artists Lauren Nicholson and Roxanne Cox. Both artists make a return to painting around bonds to childhood, memory and place.
- The Ian Potter Museum of Art – one of Australian’s most highly regarded multidisciplinary artists, Susan Norrie, will premier aftermath as part of her exhibition Field Work 2006-2016. aftermath will be showing from 15th March to 26th June.
- Gertrude Contemporary Gallery – If People Powered Radio – 40 years of 3CR – exhibition will explore the station’s history of radical broadcasting and how it has thrived in its endeavour to foreground the often unheard voices of Aboriginal people, women, workers, ethnic and GLBTIQ communities, differently abled people, environmentalists, artists and musicians. The exhibition will present a combination of recordings, technological hardware, and photographic, written and graphic documents from the station’s vast historical archive.
More by Art Smitten
Christian chats to Todd Beavis, Associate Director of Nite Art 2017, Martina Copley, Manager of the artist-run initiative Blindside, who are participating […]