Update on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Hi SYN community!
We’ve set up this page to house regular updates on SYN’s approach to Coronavirus (COVID-19). We do not require any action from our listeners and supporters. This page has been set up to let the public know how we’re handling Coronavirus with our internal community.
If you are worried that you may have come into contact with the virus, the Department of Human Health and Services have a dedicated hotline to offer direction: 1800 675 398, or head to https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/.
You can also find helpful support resources, including information and helplines, at this Headspace link.
Internal community update, 12 November 2021
From the week of the 17th of January 2022, SYN will be returning to the office in person. It’s been a wild ride, but we’re at the stage now, in conjunction with the university where we believe it’ll be safe for staff, schools and volunteers to return to campus. The reason we made the decision to wait until next year is:
- Case numbers are still very high, and we saw no reason to risk our community unnecessarily. The risk to outcome ratio just didn’t seem to add up!
- We want to develop a smooth system in conjunction with the university so that we can hit the ground running and allow vols to return easily. Rather then rush!
- Vaccine mandates and how they are applied are still being confirmed – however it is 99% clear at this stage all volunteers will be required to be vaccinated to return to campus.
To confirm SYN’s Summer Season will take place online this year, as we gradually return to campus late Jan 2022.
Please do not rock up to SYN until you have received a confirmation email from us to do so!
Once we’ve got all the details sorted and you’ve received your confirmation email, this will mean in 2022:
- Those who have already done their COVIDsafe training and returned to campus earlier this year, can return to the studios.
- Studio Induction will return, for vols who have only ever participated remotely, to complete and this pick up a swipe card.
- We’ll be running re-training session for existing vols that feel the need additional support to get back into the swing of live broadcasting.
- Our Remote Broadcasting model will remain in place, and we’ll continue to develop and work on it – we believe it’ll still play a critical role at SYN for our next strategic goals.
- COVIDsafe measures will remain in place in SYN’s studios, and we’ll continue to work with the university to continuously improve them.
Questions that are still in the process of being resolved:
- How will I verify my vaccination status?
- I’d like to express interest for studio re-training – how do I do that?
- How do I complete my COVIDsafe training and get my swipe card reactivated?
We will have answers to the above and more soon, please wait to hear from the Community Team directly to confirm your COVIDsafe training status and swipe card status. If you have completed it earlier in the year, the process will be a lot smoother and quicker! But we still need to work with the university to ensure your card is active.
Thank you so much SYNners, we’re close to the finish line – Can’t wait to celebrate your amazing work at SYN Awards next week!
Evrim Şen – General Manager ([email protected])
Internal community update as of 17:00, 5 August 2021
Starting at 8pm tonight, SYN will be moving to remote broadcasting and recording for at least the next 7 days due to the latest snap lockdown announcement.
Beyond Blue: 1800 512 348
Lifeline: 13 11 14
QLife: 1800 184 527
Safe Steps: 1800 015 188
OR find relevant text message/webchat services online: https://mentalhealthcompass.com.au/helplines
Community Broadcasters are covered by Support Act’s Help-line, free 24/7 for artists to access for free: 1800 959 500
Return to campus, Leadership Team, membership or general community queries: Alicia, [email protected]
Remote broadcasting/scheduling, Leadership Team, general content/tech queries: Erin, [email protected]
Induction queries: Bec, [email protected]
Questions about SYN’s strategy and governance: Evrim, [email protected]
Educational programs: Hayley, [email protected]
SYN’s operations, general tech queries: [email protected]
Internal community update as of 17:30, 15 July 2021
Hi everyone, SYN will be moving to remote broadcasting and recording during the snap 5 day lockdown which was announced earlier this afternoon, starting midnight tonight until next Tuesday the 20th of July.
Internal community update as of 9:30, 10 June 2021
Internal community update as of 15:00, 27 May 2021
To ask more about how is SYN adapting and what happens next, email Evrim: [email protected]
To discuss your studio booking (flagship or pre-record), email Bec: [email protected]
To discuss Microsoft Teams or troubleshoot tech problems from home, email Erin: [email protected]
Beyond Blue: 1800 512 348
Lifeline: 13 11 14,
Lifeline Text Message Service between 6pm and midnight: 0477 13 11 14.
Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800.
Safe Steps: 1800 015 188, or email [email protected]
Internal community update as of 20:00, 1 December 2020
Hi everyone! Exciting news, SYN will be returning a small handful of programs to campus for a two-week trial before the office closes for the year. A few flagship shows have been contacted to test approximately two days in the studio for the weeks of 7th – 11th and 14th – 18th of December. The SYN office will be closed from the 21st Dec – 1st Jan 2021, no shows will be broadcast in the studio during this time.
Internal community update as of 12:00, 23 March 2020
Internal community update as of 19:00, 16 March 2020
We hope you are all well during this time of uncertainty regarding the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19). We want to thank you for your patience and understanding while we are developing strategies to protect our community and continue our work.
The SYN office is now temporarily closed for staff and volunteers. SYN’s live programming will continue until further notice.
SYN staff have decided to close the SYN office and will be working from home wherever possible. We are all contactable on our emails, and can set up meetings via video link where needed.
As RMIT University have not closed the city campus, you can still access the office for essential reasons. However, we strongly encourage you and your teams to complete any show preparation, editing or other off-air tasks remotely.
You can still access the SYN studios, including the prerecord studios. Book these by emailing Maddy or Erin as usual.
There is a chance that SYN will be forced to close for a period of time. We’ll provide more information on this if and when this becomes imminent.
Things you can do in the meantime to prepare:
- If you’re sick, please do NOT come to SYN.
- Pre-record your segments/shows where possible. Think about how you can create ‘highlight reel’ type content, record on-location in advance, or record from home over the next few days. This will help SYN continue to broadcast if and when a lockdown occurs.
- Ask in advance for your content to be scheduled. Email Erin ([email protected]) to have your show scheduled during this time.
- Avoid bringing interviewees into the studios. Instead, conduct interviews over Skype or Whatsapp. This is in the best interest of our volunteers and your interviewees.
We are taking measures to ensure safe practice in the radio studios, including routine cleaning of microphone wind socks and wiping down of surfaces. We ask that you do your part to ensure our space stays safe by:
- Taking mic socks off microphones and spraying with disinfectant spray (Glen 20) after your show
Spraying the door handle with disinfectant spray (Glen 20) after your show.
- Using hand sanitiser before and after you operate any equipment.
- We have provided spray in the live studio, and there is hand sanitiser in the RMIT hallways. However, please bring your own spray and sanitiser wherever possible. Please email Maddy ([email protected]) if you find that we have run out or are running low.
When you’re at SYN, do what you would do anywhere else:
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly
- Avoid touching your face
- Keep SYN spaces clean, and wipe down surfaces in the kitchen with multipurpose spray
We appreciate that these events may cause distress for you and other SYNers.
If you are worried that you may have contracted or come into contact with the virus, the Department of Human Health and Services have a dedicated hotline to offer direction: 1800 675 398.
You can find helpful support resources, including information and helplines, at this Headspace link.
Read more about RMIT’s approach and find RMIT specific updates here.
We will maintain communication with you all regarding new developments. Please don’t hesitate to email Maddy via [email protected] if you have any questions.
Take care of each other!
Lots of love,
The SYN Staff
p: 03 9639 2537
e: [email protected]
— END OF UPDATES —